Dimitri From Paris
Get Down With The Philly Sound
Release date: May 18, 2010
Download a free 35-minute promo mix of the compilation narrated by Dimitri from Paris.
This compilation documents the birth of the disco era in Philadelphia-a must listen for any groove heads, funk freaks or disco darlings.
CD1. Original Tracks
01. Harold Melvin & Blue Notes - The Love I Lost
02. The Jackson’s - Living Together
03. Teddy Pendergrass - You Can’t Hide From Yourself
04. Carl Bean - I Was Born This Way
05. John Davis - Night & Day
06. The Trammps - The Night The Lights Went Out
07. Teddy Pendergrass - The More I Get The More I Want
08. TJM – I Don’t Need No Music
09. Charles Mann - Do It Again
10. Eddie Kendricks - He’s a Friend
11. Harold Melvin & Blue Notes - Tell The World How I Feel About ‘Cha Baby
12. Harold Melvin & Blue Notes - Bad Luck (Pt. 1 & 2)
13. Philly Devotions - Hurt So Bad
14. The Girls (Brown Sugar) - I’m Going Through Changes
CD2. Remixes and Edits all respectfully done by Dimitri from Paris utilizing the original multi track parts
01. Harold Melvin & Blue Notes - The Love I Lost (DFP remix)
02. The Jackson’s - Living Together (DFP edit)
03. The Trammps -The Night The Lights Went Out (DFP edit)
04. Teddy Pendergrass-You Can’t Hide From Yourself (DFP remix)
05. Teddy Pendergrass-The More I Get The More I Want (DFP remix)
06. Eddie Kendricks-He’s a Friend (DFP remix) 8mn
07. Harold Melvin & Blue Notes-Tell The World How I Feel About ‘Cha (DFP edit)
08. Harold Melvin & Blue Notes-Bad Luck (Pt. 1 & 2) (DFP edit)
09. Philly Devotions-Hurt So Bad (DFP remix)
MADLIB MEDICINE SHOW #5: THE HISTORY OF THE LOOP DIGGA
Fifth edition of Madlib's Medicine Show series is a record he's been wanting to release for several years: a proper collection of his 90s work in the decade leading up to Lootpack & Quasimoto.
MP3: MADLIB - STATIC INVAZION
Soul Jazz are issuing this seminal super-rare rare-groove album produced by Roy Ayers originally released on his own Uno Melodic label in 1983.
This amazing one-off album featured the group Eighties Ladies comprising the vocal talents of Susan Beaubian, Marva Hicks, Vivian Prince, Denie Corbett & Sylvia Striplin backed by an all-start line-up Roy Ayers band (including Rick James who shares the production).
The anthemic ‘Turned on To You” and “Ladies of the Eighties” are both included in this absolutely classic boogie-funk-jazz-soul album from the start of the 80s. Soul Jazz Records are re-issuing this remastered album in its entirety with original artwork, in Soul Jazz case edition CD and deluxe heavyweight card and gate-fold vinyl.
More info and audio here.
I know this post must seem odd just based on the fact that I.C.P. is the artist being covered...but this video and track will make you laugh for days. I don't even care to ponder whether or not these two 'clowns' are in on the joke or are actually making inspirational music for their backwoods kids...either way...this is BRILLIANT.
Special thanks to my man Josh for opening my eyes to 'Miracles.'
Take has recently released the album 'Only Mountain' on Alpha Pup.
Take 'Neon Beams'
I have been heavily into cosmic sounds lately. This guys productions go nicely with my regular doses of Sa-Ra Creative Partners and Dåm-Funk.
Bird Peterson 'Drankenstein'
...15 tracks that are all southern hip hop remixes, made from some of Bird's favorite trance samples...in the words of Stan Lee...Nuff' said!
Tempo No Tempo 'Kilometer'
Catch them live next week up and down the West Coast with Dinowalrus at a town near you.
4.27 : Hemlock Tavern w/ Dinowalrus and Ingot Rot (members of Tussle)
4.28 : Biko House w/ Dinowalrus
4.29 : The Smell w/ Dinowalrus, Signals, Foot Village, Ezra Buchla (Gowns) and DJ Set by Railcars
4.30 : Che Café w/ Dinowalrus, Da Bears, Endless Bummer
5.1 : FMLY Ride w/ Dinowalrus, Slang Chickens
5.2 : Crepe Place w/ Dinowalrus, Green Flash
5.3 : 21 Grand w/ Dinowalrus, NYMPH, The Splinters
They describe themselves as 'Westcoastsynthesizerbeachbumgangstermusic.' Which is enough for me to give them a listen. The group is comprised of Killer Reese One and that hustler Troublemaker-seriously, he's a hustler-I feel like I've been getting promo remixes from the guy for years. Their debut album 'Finger Snaps and Gun Claps' will be released in June. Above is the recently shot video for "Hollyrock Jam Session."
Check out their remix of The Glitch Mob's 'Drive It Like You Stole It'!
And 'Because' by The Bird and The Bee...
Check their site weekly for new remixes available for download free.
His 7th full length and second on Ninja Tune. Digi-Dance Hall, Soca-Techno Hybrid Madness and plenty of BASS! Rewind selecta!!!!
out 5.3.2010 on Ninja Tune.
Poirier US dates:
May 26th - Los Angeles - Low End Theory @ The Airliner
May 28th - Las Vegas - Smash! Party @ Forbes KTV
May 29th - San Francisco @ Club Six
Poirier Sound Dot Com
Ninja Tune Dot Net
I have listened to this album as many as 10 times in the first 24 Hours since I downloaded it. Sometimes reviews just need to get to the point, sometimes I feel it's better to not wax poetic on what so many are sure to critique.
Album opener 'Dance Yrself Clean' is a solid favorite.
Go on and dance yrself clean and realize that all the time...this is happening.
This is the world exclusive video preview of the new single of South African dance pioneers SWEAT.X. "Very Big Hospital" was recorded in collaboration with a blind childrens choir from Johannesburg, as well as some traditional African musicians to capture the sound of the dark continent.
David Kennedy, aka Ramadanman and co-founder of Hessle Audio has just picked up where James Blake left off with the labels previous 12". Spacious and funky. You can hardly stand the space between each snap and twist the tracks offer. I would say Ramadanman is one of the few producers out there making the wobble step vibe where the rest in his music is as precious as the beats themselves.
Ramadanman EP (Hessle Audio)
A. 'I Beg You'
B1. 'No Swing'
Ramadanman EP will be released on Hessle Audio on May 4th.
SUGAR & GOLD SPRING 2010 TOUR
4/29 - SAN FRANCISCO, CA @ BOTTOM OF THE HILL
4/30 - LOS ANGELES, CA @ THE ECHO
5/1 - MONTEREY, CA @ THE BLUE FIN
5/2 - CHICAGO, IL @ THE EMPTY BOTTLE
5/3 - PONTIAC, MI @ THE CROFOOT PIKE ROOM
5/4 - COVINGTON, KY @ THE MAD HATTER
5/5 - PITTSBURGH, PA @ THUNDERBIRD CAFE
5/6 - BROOKLYN, NY @ THE KNITTING FACTORY
5/7 - BOSTON, MA @ TBA
5/8 - PHILADELPHIA, PA @ MARBAR
5/9 - BUFFALO, NY @ MOHAWK PLACE
5/10 - COLUMBUS, OH @ THE TREEHOUSE
5/11 - LEXINGTON, KY @ BUSTER'S
5/31 - SALT LAKE CITY, UT @ THE URBAN LOUNGE
6/1 - DENVER, CO @ THE HI-DIVE
6/2 - KANSAS CITY, MO @ THE RECORD BAR
6/3 - NORMAN, OK @ OPOLIS
6/4 - DENTON, TX @ DAN'S SILVER LEAF
6/5 - HOUSTON, TX @ ELEANOR TINSLEY PARK
6/6 - AUSTIN, TX @ THE MOHAWK
6/8 - ALBUQUERQUE, NM @ THE LAUNCH PAD
6/9 - PHOENIX, AZ @ THE RHYTHM ROOM
6/10 - TUCSON, AZ @ CLUB CONGRESS
6/11 - SAN DIEGO, CA @ CHE CAFE
7/1-3 - CALGARY, AB @ SLED ISLAND FESTIVAL
I've been loving Part 1 in this series for a minute now. They've just dropped part 2 and you can download both compilations for free via their site.
The tracks range from Dubstep to Neo Soul to Hip Hop. Some really tight tracks from emerging artists.
01. XLII – Roll Upon You Like XLII
02. Slugabed – Power Of The Mind
03. Alex B – Murked
04. Greymatter – Too Much
05. Elroy 4.0 – Nemo’s New Shimmery Coat
06. 00Genesis – Dew
07. Constrobuz – Listen Close
08. Mr Beatnick – Plastic Memory
09. ANGO – Hep, Hep
10. Suzi Analogue + Stalley – Gate 28 (Analogue Radiowave Edit)
11. Kidkanevil – Zo0o0o0p!!! feat. Oddisee
12. Flick Brown – It Be Called N.C. feat. Akello Light
13. Cazeaux O.S.L.O. – Negro-Orgen
14. Piff Herrera – Windpipe
15. Debilorithmicos – Devil’s Hand feat. Racecar & Sarah G
16. 8Bitch – In The Moog For Love
17. Ghost – CIA
18. Stevo – untitled971
19. Inko – Komet Kameratene
20. Beatcasso – Untitled 48590
21. S.maharba – M/L/M/H
Still Flyin' 'Run Away Train II'
If you've ever bounced around in your car listening to I'm From Barcelona then you need to put this into car bouncing rotation.
This band is fun, plain and simple.
"Runaway Train b/w All Lips Touch"
7" out in stores 4.20.2010
(Ernest Jenning Record Co.)
Fol Chen 'In Ruins' (via TerrorBird) (320 kbps
Jangle chamber swing. Pop tops of yore. Playing in the sand at the age of three. Dark daydreams and a fistful of candy.
Fol Chen Website
FOL CHEN TOUR DATES
04/10 Los Angeles, CA El Rey *
04/14 Washington, DC Rock 'n Roll Hotel *
04/15 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom *
04/16 Philadelphia, PA First Unitarian Church *
04/17 Boston, MA Paradise Lounge *
04/18 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg *
04/27 San Francisco, CA Slim's *
04/29 Portland, OR Hawthorne Theatre *
04/30 Vancouver, BC VenueCanada *
05/01 Seattle, WA Neumo's *
* = w/ Liars
Mexicans With Guns is the production-moniker/character created by Exponential Records honcho Ernest Gonzales. Only forming in Feb. 2009 he has already remixed Bassnectar, Rainbow Arabia, CYNE, Faunts and Yppah. He has also shared the stage with Peanut Butter Wolf, Daedelus, Ghosts on Tape, Nocando, Eliot Lipp. Mux Mool, Jogger and more.
From what I've heard so far it's kind of like a Mexican wrestling match between an Atari, a massive Bass cabinet and Speedy Gonzalez.
Available exclusively via the Stones Throw store NOW!
Mexicans With Guns - "Me Gustó" ft. Chico Mann by Funny Ha Ha
1. Me Gusto ft. Chico Mann
2. Me Gusto ft. Chico Mann (Ghosts on Tape Remix)
1. Dame Lo
2. Los Perritos
3. Me Gusto (Instrumental)
Mexicans With Guns MySpace
This album came out slightly over ten years ago. It's sounds as fresh as the first time I heard it-sewer soul, psychedelic soul, Mo-Hip-Town-Hop. Whatever the label this album is smooth like a fine V.S.O.P. I suggest a hot Summer day with your honey just being lazy around the house 'sharing in a slice of the Devil's Pie.'
Neu! (trademarked NEU! in block capitals, German: New!, pronounced [ˈnɔʏ]) was a German band formed by Klaus Dinger and Michael Rother after their split from Kraftwerk in the early 1970s. Though the band had minimal commercial success during its existence, Neu! are retrospectively considered one of the founding fathers of Krautrock and a significant influence on artists including PiL, Joy Division, Brian Eno, David Bowie, Stereolab, Gary Numan, Ultravox, Radiohead, The Horrors & Simple Minds.
A live bass heavy mix, train wrecks and all. Not many though. The mix is a great example of how far and wide my tastes are these days. A little dub reggae, a little UK Funky, wobble and step, you get the idea.
01. "Msoto Millions feat. Ukoo Flani" 3:53 :: Jahcoozi
02. "Jah Live - Produced by Rusko " 4:27 :: Rod Azlan
03. "The General" 3:50 :: Jahdan Blakkamoore
04. "Square One (GREENA remix)" 4:37 :: Mosca
05. "Yellowtail" 7:39 :: Geeneus
06. "Chalace Man" 5:26 :: Delinquent
07. "Drop To The Flo" 6:44 :: Craze
08. "Samba Death Squad (feat. Ricardo Ribeiro)" 6:02 :: Guns N Bombs
09. "Murderer (Diplo & JAYOU Remix)" 3:36 :: The Partysquad
10. "How You Like Me Now? (Joker Remix)" 5:41 :: The Heavy
11. "You Got The Love (The xx Remix) (The Very Best Version)" 5:03 :: Florence + The Machine
12. "Love Cry (Roska Remix)" 6:02 :: Four Tet
13. "Mind Reader (L-Vis 1990 Remix)" 5:35 :: Kingdom
14. "Raw" 4:53 :: DJ Donna Summer
15. "Autograph" 3:06 :: Smalltown Djs
16. "Touch feat. MC Adam Zae (The Hump Day Project Remix)" 4:24 :: FutureFlashs
17. "Party Like Us (Original Mix)" 5:00 :: AC Slater
Dam-Funk has covered “The Things Dreams Are Made Of” by synth-pop band The Human League. The song & video were made for shoe brand Dr. Martens 50-year-anniversary celebration, along with a total of ten modern-day producers who remade cult classics in their own style.
Dam-Funk "Things That Dreams Are Made Of" (via Stones Throw)
Get on this! Coming out April 19th on BPitch Control.
This album is deep world travel and heavy days sweating in Summer.
The album features percussionist Guillermo Brown from New York, Belgian singer Barbara Panther, clay pot percussionist Oori Shalev from Israel, MCs from Ukoo Flani, a Kenyan dancehall/reggae crew from Nairobi.
Looking for something to change your perspective on music?
Give this album a listen.
Jahcoozi 'Barefoot Wanderer' (BPitch Control)
01. Barefoot Dub
02. Zoom in Fantasize
03. Powerdown Blackout feat. M.Sayyid
04. Close to Me
05. Lost in the Bass
06. Speckles Shine feat. Guillermo Brown
07. Read the Books
08. Msoto Millions feat. Uko Flani
09. Barricaded feat. Barbara Panther
10. Watching You (Deadbeat Stalker Dub)
Check out their NOICE Podcast Here.